Mr. Butler and Big A went by the school, and found out who the little one's teacher are going to be this year.
Mr. Butler totally got the teacher he wanted. He is super excited. So am I. I think Mr. Butler will really do well this year with this teacher.
Louie Blue on the other hand (doesn't know yet as she's up at Tahoe) has ANOTHER team teacher set. I am totally upset. She wont be happy either. To say the least.
She was in a team class last year. I hated the teachers. They didn't communicate well, they seemed like they had no clue, they had 34 kids in the class, and since Louie Blue is quiet, she got left behind. They would tell her to do things that went against my beliefs or how I want to do things as her mother. They made me feel like I was just the person that gave the child room and board, not life. And they were mean to her. She often came home saying she hated her teachers and her class, without any prompting from me. You shouldn't hate school that much when you're in 1st grade. Then, on the end of the year report card, they had the audacity to tell me she was going to fail in school unless she took summer school. Seriously?! They had like the largest population of the trouble maker kids in the school for that age, and spent more time disciplining then teaching. She's only behind in reading, and she had a wonderful tutor over the summer, but I think it's the spelling that gets her caught up, but, seriously, what 1st grader should be expected to spell words like squash or marshmallow? She can't even pronounce those words correctly, let alone spell them.
So, here's my dilemma. Last year I tried to get her transferred out of the class, and the principal wouldn't do it. Do I just grin and bear it another year and see how it plays out? Do I go in and DEMAND he put her in a smaller class? And if the principal won't do it, get mean, take my kid to another school, make her be a 2 nd grade drop out? What?
I'm so upset and feel like my baby is getting screwed because she's a quiet girl that does what she's told, isn't an over achiever or a problem kid; doesn't require special help like Mr. Butler, and they are tired of Woodward kids after the first 2?
I feel like I just don't even want to send her to school on the first day. And I feel like I hate a school and it's administration that with the first two kids, was a great school. J and his younger sister even went to this school like 30 years ago, and it was a great school then. But with Louie Blue, I'm beginning to wonder.
I'm sorry I have to be a full time employee and mom and can't be a part of the hob-nob stay at home mommies that are on the PTA, and get to be room-moms and party-moms, but I do the best I can with my kids. I feel like the school looks down their noses at me.
Can anyone out there in blog world help me on this? I'm at ropes end. Just go with and hope for the best? Politely ask for a transfer to a smaller class? Demand she be moved because she wasn't moved last year, and we're not getting screwed 2 years in a row? Tell him is he doesn't move her, find another school? What would you recommend?
Friday, August 22, 2008
Teachers
Posted by The Woodward Family at 2:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






6 comments:
That's a tuff one. My nephew had a similar experience when he was in first grade. His teacher left half way throught the year to have a baby and the sub was not that great. He fell behind too.
Now he's doing fine but school still isn't his favorite.
The only thing I can say is maybe these team teachers will be better. See how the first month goes.
If its not good... well I would be down their throats moving my daughter to a different class!
Good luck Dove and Louie Blue!
I would go in at the start and talk to the principal and say that it didn't work last year and you would like to see it changed right away. But these teachers could be better than last year but if they don't move her at least the communication door is open and you can follow through during the year. Maybe even talk to the counselor about your concerns and get her involved. Kelsea was one of those quiet kids that was left behind because she was good and always placed by the noisey boys but they caused her distraction. She was behind in her reading and put in reading that was below grade level for years and she would complain because she felt stupid. It was 5th grade we finally got a diagnoses of ADHD-it is different in girls. After years of letting things happen I pulled her and the other 2 girls out of the school the girls were in and put her in another school and the change for her has been remarkable. She was in an at grade level reading group for the first time and did well. And this year as a sophomore she is in an accelerated English class. Follow your instincts with her. Network your way around with the counselor and the principal and see where it takes you both. You know the thing about the squeaky wheel? And first grade is a tough adjustment year for some kids as well. This year might just be better.
Don't beat yourself about being a working mom. I don't do PTA even though I don't work out of the home full time. You do what you can do because you human not a superhero.
So after all that randomness I hope that was a help.
To finish my point about first grade-Amber kind of shut down at the end of first grade and she had a great teacher. She was in the top reading group in her class but started feeling "sick" all the time at the end of the year. She was overwhelmed with her perfectionism and dealing with the kids in her class that always wanted her to help them. The teacher backed off on her school work and Amber survived but she has done fine ever since.
But follow your instincts- or whatever answers you get to your prayers. You know what's best for your little girl. Good luck!
I think you should pray about it :)
You are Louie Blue's mom and you will know what is best for her--it is somewhere in there ;). I think you should pray about it as well.
If it were me, I would talk with the principal about how your daughter has difficulty in large groups--you know because you tried it last year. Even if it is two teachers, the large groups is not a place where she thrives. She needs to be in a smaller class! You have already put in your time with team teaching, now you want something different. I think you have every right to say this.
As far as not being a PTA mom, who cares? What the school needs to realize is that you love your kids and care about them and are doing the best you can. That is all that matters--not that you are at school meetings and such!
Isaac had a horrible year in first grade as well. I took him out and homeschooled him because I figured with as much effort as I was putting out getting him to do his homework, I could spend all day with him teaching what I wanted him to learn.
Post a Comment