CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 17, 2008

18 Years Ago...

18 years ago today, Jason and I got engaged. I simply can't believe it was so long ago.

We didn't get engaged romantically or lavishly. Jason didn't plan it that way, it just happened that way.

We had only been dating for 3 weeks (we'd known each other for a year though) but we knew it was right (we were also very young; I was still a senior in high school). Jason had wanted to either surprise me on my birthday a month later, or at my graduation. It actually ended up that if he had waited for my birthday, I wouldn't have enjoyed or appreciated it much. I was SUPER sick, and sad as well, because my baby nephew had died of SIDS, and my mom had to fly to New Mexico for his funeral. And my graduation would have worked, but I was glad to be engaged and have my ring to show off to all my classmates prior to graduation.

So, anyways, he took me to the mall to look at rings and find out what I liked, what he could afford, but had no plans to buy. However, I found a ring I fell in love with, and being the woman I am, with no patience what so ever, I had to have it right away, and he could afford it. We both looked at each other and said, so this is it, we're getting married I guess. As it turned out though, my fingers were tiny back then, and I had to wait a week to actually get my ring, it had to be sized. So we both agreed we'd wait to tell people after I got my ring.

The next morning my mom and I got the pattern and all the material to start making my dress. At first my parents weren't so happy about my getting married, but they quickly came around when they saw how happy I was, and what a great man Jason was.

And, well, the rest is history...

I am so grateful my sweetie asked me to marry him 18 years ago today!

1 comments:

Janika said...

I had forgotten that you were engaged before graduation. But I did remember you waving that ring around like you were heir to the throne. It was funny how you went from "I hate that jerk!" to "You'll never guess who I'm marrying!" Speaking of dress pattern, I remember going to the restroom so we could unzip and breathe. I also remember cutting Jason's fabulous, one-of-a-kind mullet before the wedding. LOL *snort*