Yeah! I just love the balloon races. There are about 24 up right now, and I am looking directly at them from my desk. Such a great view I have. Today is media day, so not as many go up. Tomorrow through Sunday, however, there will be close to 100 balloons. It is so amazing to see that many in the sky.
Last year, I missed the balloon races for my surgery. A year ago right now I was sitting at the hospital in pre-op getting my happy drugs. And then, for the rest of the weekend, I was in too much pain to see the balloons much. Luckily I just live down the street from the park and they tend to fly right over my house, so I could at least go out and look at them for a moment or two. That, and the drugs, helped me feel better.
But, this year, we are going for dawn patrol and the whole ambiance of being right there as they are being filled and going up. There is nothing else like it.
I have to say, the balloon races are my favorite Reno/Sparks area event.
Thursday, September 4, 2008
The Balloons Are UP!!!
Posted by The Woodward Family at 7:58 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






4 comments:
I miss the balloons. We use to have something like that in June. But no more.
I have a funny story about the balloon race!
So it was two years ago and we were living in Reno. I woke up and made breakfast and as I was doing the dishes I looked out the window over the sink and saw Jesus! I kid you not Jesus. So I yelled to Dustin "Jesus!" He's was like what are you talking about. So I said "Its Jesus! Jesus is coming up through the trees, right there!" It was so funny. He thought I was either crazy or it was the second coming. Turns out a church down the road had a Jesus balloon and were launching it for the balloon race. We have a picture of it somewhere. I'll have to find it and send it to you!!! A huge Jesus balloon ascending into the heavens!!
I remember going to the river in Boise to with the balloons with Kim and fam. One of the towns here has a balloon festival and Mike was dogging it last week. I just looked at him like he was an idiot. But he REALLY wants to see the Reno air races.
Jan, so come up for 2 weeks, you and I can go to the balloon races, and Mike could go to the air races the next weekend.
I live 1/2 mile from balloon races, and work 3 miles (give or take) from the air races...
Post a Comment