
Today is the first Mother's day without my mom. My emotions are on a roller coaster. The last time I saw my mom alive was last mother's day when I spent the whole day with her. I tried to make myself happier thinking that this is the first Mother's Day my mom has gotten to spend with her mother in 35 years, it made me happier, but it made me cry with happiness.
Anyways, since I can't call my mom and tell her happy Mother's day, I found this little thing on line to record in your journal about your mom...
1. What is your funniest memory of Mom? One night, I was sore from something, track, ballet, I can't remember, and she told me "What you should do is go in and take a compuzie." (we had a jacuzzie bath tub in the house I grew up in). We probably laughed for 1/2 an hour before we could even talk. Then she said, "What I meant to say is, you should go in and take a computer." Again, tons of laughter. Our sides were killing us, and we had tears streaming down our faces. She didn't say either thing as a joke, they really came out of her mouth that way. My dad finally came in the kitchen to find out what was so funny and told us we were both crazy. Yeah, we know....
2. What lesson that she taught you stand out most? I would have to say, clean up as you go along when you're in the kitchen making or baking something. It has made me unable to function in a kitchen that is messy or anything is out of place, but since my kitchen is seriously tiny, that is good. If I have something out, there just isn't enough room to continue.
3. What is your favorite characteristic or personality trait about Mom? She could always laugh at her self. She didn't let the little things get to her. And her laugh was infectious. It took a lot to get mom down, because she could always find something good in everything.
4. What do you see in yourself that came from her, physically or in your personality? Physically, my mid-section looks just like my mom. I have her tummy, love handles, and butt. No matter how many cruches, sit-ups, whatver, I do, I still look pudgy, just like her. Personality wise, I tend to me absent minded just like her, and I (and Rhett, too) can't talk straight like she couldn't. We always get the letters mixed around (Cice Rhex insted of Rice Chex, Paron Shalmer instead of Sharon Palmer) She loved tomatoes, and asparagas, which I didn't as a child, but I love them now.
I am so grateful she was my mom, and will be for all eternity. I miss her terribly, but I know she is not far away, in a better place, and her mind in clear. I am so grateful for all she did for me as I was growing up. She was my best friend, my biggest supporter, my MOM! I can't look at a cat or a salt and pepper shaker set without smiling and thinking of my mom.
For those of you who read this that still have living mothers, please tell them how much you love them and cherish them, if you are able to, throw your arms around them and kiss them. I envy those of you that can, and I look forward to the day when I get that chance again. In the meantime, I have many cherished memories of the greatest mom ever! I have her love, no matter whether in this life or the next, and that love is unconditonal, and endless.
My mom as a baby, my grandma holding her...
My mom and her older brother, Ronald
My mom's high school graduation photo, 1953
My mom holding me, and my dad, Easter 1974
My mom and dad around the early 80's
My mom in 1981
Sunday, May 11, 2008
Happy Mother's Day
Posted by The Woodward Family at 4:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comments:
Wow, you have some dominant genes! From your grandma down to your daughter, you all look so much alike! I thought about you and your mother today. I'm glad for your wonderful faith to cope with the sadness of absence. Your mother being gone has actually been difficult for me. I've cried as much about her as I have for my grandparents--even though I hadn't seen her for years. I don't know, it's just hard to imagine her not being there. I love you both.
Post a Comment