So, I got the entire room TOTALLY cleaned out by very late Friday night. Stayed up until about 12:00. I threw away about 5 black garbage bags full of old toys, beat up shoes, thread-bear clothes, and trash. I have 2 big bags of clothes to go to good will and another 2 bags of outgrown shoes that are still in good shape. (Rhett has a shoe fetish, and owns more shoes then the rest of the family members combined, and Jason's grandmother indulges him) I now walk past the room and am amazed at how good it looks. They even got to let our neighbor boys come over and play in the room for a change. Jason in impressed the room has stayed clean for 2 days. We'll see how long it lasts...
Left Saturday, late morning and drove down to my dads. I had to take both the dogs with me as no one was home to let them out to go potty. I keep them in their kennels while we were visiting mom.
The retirement home mom is in is SO nice. It's only about 8 years old, so it's very clean, modern and well lite. She shares a room with a lady named Patty. The two of them are like two kids. Mom was trying to let Patty try on her clothes and telling her she could borrow her shoes. It was kind of funny. There are several other "family" members mom has become friends with, Frank (a real character), Flo, and I can't remember the other lady's name due to my poor name recall ability. The nurses are real good, and they say they really like mom. Dad is so good with everyone there (nurses and "family") They try to keep them all busy during the day so they don't just sit around and wait to die, which is good. They have "class time" they read books, color, recite the date together, talk about what they've just had to eat, and have daily exercise classes. It's good, and mom is settling in very nicely. It really doesn't bother me to see her there and in the condition she's in, because I know she's got dad, and us girls that love her. What really breaks my heart is the "family" that doesn't have anyone to come visit them. Like Frank and Flo. I feel bad for them. But I will love them just as much as I can, they need it.
Dad is trying to clean out all moms stuff now and give all of it away to us girls. It's hard, but he won't have any place to store it when he moves, and he doesn't want anything to get ruined, and he wants to make sure we get the things and enjoy them. He said he would not be offended if we asked for anything, but he might tell us no. He is doing much better than he was a few weeks ago, but it is still hard for him. He really wants the family, as much as can make it to come up for mom's birthday next month. In the home, there is a private family kitchen and dining room where we can have a nice dinner, and then we'll go back to her area and have cake and ice cream with the other "family members" and nurses.
Mom will be 71 this year, and who knows how many birthdays we'll have left.
I barely made it to the airport in time to pick up the kids on Sunday. I left Yerington a little later than I wanted to, and got behind 3 cars I couldn't pass between Silver Springs and Fernly, that felt the speed limit of 65 was about 15 miles an hour too fast. The whole way from Silver Springs into Reno I kept praying the plane would be late, and guess what? It was! I got my security pass and through security and walked up just as the kids were getting off the plane. Boy was I ever grateful that prayer was answered! I was so afraid the kids would be sitting there waiting and I'd be making a flight attendant mad...
Anthony and I seem to be catching a little cold. I thought it was just allergies, but today I really feel crummy. Achy, headache, stuffy nose, and I have a cold sore. Anthony has all the same symptoms but the cold sore. Hopefully it stays that way.
First day of school got off well yesterday. Anthony has 2 band classes, art, and sign language as his electives. Then he has math, language, history, and science. He's gonna be very busy this semester.
Rhett got Mrs. Toti this year. She is somehow related to friends of ours, but I can't remember how exactly. She has been teaching at Peavine for like 23 years now. I think she will be good for Rhett. She strikes me as a teacher that has a lot of fun with the kids, but doesn't take any crap from them either.
Kylie had her screening for kindergarden this morning. She scored 24 out of 21. Yep, she's ahead for her age and grade level. Just like Anthony, but unlike Rhett. She is so excited to start. Next Tuesday!
Dad gave me his old digital camera, so when I get a chance to sit down, I have about a ton of pictures to post. But last night was the last Family Home Evening in the park, and tonight I have a temple recommend interview with the stake pres, and tomorrow is scout night, so I'll see what happens Thursday, but no promises!!!
Tuesday, August 29, 2006
I'm Back
Posted by The Woodward Family at 11:19 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






0 comments:
Post a Comment